Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A note from Namibia

Hello, parents! This is Grace's mom, and I'm sitting in an Internet cafe in Windhoek, Namibia. We left the girls yesterday near Etosha National Park, and they are all doing great! Mallory's dad and grandma, Dave and Amy, joined Jennifer Royall and I on this trip and it's been a blast! Thanksgiving was so wonderful. We all worked hard in the morning at the Cheetah Conservation Fund, and we got a lot accomplished there. We had a 'traditional' Thanksgiving dinner, thanks to (teacher) Emily's parents, who brought many of the fixings. The girls participated in a poetry reading after dinner, and it was so amazing to hear what some of these incredible young women shared. We were moved to tears more than once.Your daughters are wonderful, every one of them. I didn't get to know all of them as much as I'd have liked, but the 'groupness' of these kids was apparent the entire four and a half days that we were with them. The teachers -- Dawn, Emily, Rhea, Leah, and Shannon -- are all fabulous women and truly love our daughters. I was able to sit in on some of the classes, and their enthusiasm and knowledge base was impressive. They are so integral in making TTS what it is!I could go on and on. The words to express what the TTS experience really is escape me -- as a writer, I hope that I can come up with them some day. If you send your girls on another semester with TTS, please do try to make the parent trip -- it's worth every penny to get just a glimpse into the amazing world that our daughters are living in.Take care and God bless.
Laurie Stopher
lrstopher@yahoo.com

No comments: