Tuesday, December 9, 2008

From Ellie's Mom

I'm really sorry I haven't been in touch more often this fall. Suffice it to say, I am in awe of the amazing semester that Ellie and the other girls have had - what a privilege for all of them. I know the trip reports and photos probably don't do justice to the reality of their experiences, but you have brought so much to us as parents through them. We have been so grateful to hear about their travels, activities and academics in such thorough and sensitive reports, and the continual feedback about Ellie in particular is very much appreciated.

Gennifre, you were with Ellie at the beginning of the trip and Jen, you saw her towards the end - I heard such a "transformation" in her voice starting around the homestay. She turned a corner (I think treating the ear infection helped?) and hasn't looked back, as far as I can tell! In fact, she has said how difficult it will be to come home and "leave what has become my family". Believe it or not, this is music to my ears because I know she has blossomed and is full appreciating and soaking up all that your wonderful school has to offer.

I can't thank you enough for making this experience possible for these lucky girls. The time and care you put in to every aspect of the program - from the schoolwork, to the training, to the activities, to mid and final term comments and grades, and so on - is nothing short of remarkable. I cannot wait to see Ellie and have her back at home, and I will have even more to report to you after she has been home for awhile. (do you have any advice about "re-entry"? I think this is going to be very difficult for Ele...)

Thank you, thank you again - I look forward to reading the final (sob!) trip report and mentor comments/grades. I know they will be similarly thorough and thoughtful, so very helpful to this mother.

Fondly, Cordy

No comments: