Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Counting the days!

To Other Parents Counting Days All Over The Country!
I know that Brian Walker Molly and I are counting days with happy hearts. Our adventurers are probably (hopefully!) thrilled to come home yet I imagine some heavy hearts at the end of their journey. I cannot wait to see and hug and listen to the person that I see come down the escalator at the Minneapolis airport.
To get me to that day I created a photo album for Maggie. I keep hearing that it will be hard for the girls, and thought that if she had hard copies of photos to share immediately that she would not have to do all the talking. Family and friends could get an idea from the incredible images that we received from Gennifre and Dawn through Snapfish and Kodak Galleries. I ordered numerous photos from both sites. They came within a week.
Here is what I did. I bought a sketch book - simple and inexpensive. (Maggie has told me that she does not think she can even walk in a Target again....and always has a sketchbook.) I went to our spray paint supply and found a chocolate brown and blue (like their bus!) and randomly sprayed the cover and pages. I double stick taped the photos in - leaving room for her to comment and caption. I added a few e-mails and other text that came from TTS. I am not a scrapbooker. This was easy, therapeutic, and will be something that she can hold on to and may help her adjust! (is this where I add that this is the first photo book I have made for her in 16 years - the rest are in boxes!) I also had 5 X 7's framed two groups of 3 for her bedroom wall. My favorite is the back of the boots as the they are looking out the bus windows. I think that Maggie is in there!
I know that she is coming home with more photos and we can print those - make a slide show - whatever she wants. Truly I am sending this to hear how other parents are doing and hear about any communication that others may have recently received. I know that Maggie is going to need her space and re-entry is not going to be easy. I would love any tips advice or thoughts that anyone has to share! This journey has been incredible to experience from our part of the world in Minnesota. I cannot even imagine what we are about to hear when our traveler comes home.
Keep in touch!
Marsha Burgeson

No comments: