Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Book Recommendations

I've come to realize that I don't have as much of an understanding of the history/culture that my daughter is immersed in as I'd like to have.Years ago I read "African Women" by Mark Mathabane on the perseverance of three generations of women in his family-- from his grandmother to his sister-- through extraordinary conditions in South Africa. I'm not always a big non-fiction reader but I remember being captivated.

Just wondering if any of you have recommendations...

Thanks.
Vivienne Frederick

2 comments:

Sarah Toppe said...

Vivviene - I can recommend three that I've read this past year. A true story, "The Power of One" by Bryce Courtney and on the girls' reading list is excellent. The simplicity of "Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Achebe belies the inevitable plunder of land and customs of a tribe. "What is What?" by Dave Eggers is a fascinating read on the migration of the Lost Boys of Sudan in Africa and across to the U.S. I posted others I researched on Nilsa's blog.

jennifer royall said...

Sarah's recommendations are great ones. Another good one is Nelson Mandela's "Long Walk to Freedom" -- it's long, but a great source for the historical perspective. The girls are also reading Rian Malan's "My Traitor Heart" in history, another intense book about the history of apartheid in South Africa. I've also enjoyed Alexandra Fuller's books, "Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight" and "Scribbling the Cat" for another perspective of growing up in what is now Zimbabwe and other parts of central Africa.
Enjoy!